Monday, October 6, 2008

It's what I do

I'm often asked about the "part time jobs" I have. One of my favorite things I get to do, which borders on hobby rather than job, is do flowers for weddings and events. Here is how my weekend usually goes:

It starts with a Friday trip to the flower mart in Carlsbad. I love the fall colors and ideas - it's really hard to control myself and I have to keep reminding myself "wedding flowers Shannon!!" But I usually come home with some extra treasures (last year I got one of these awesome leaf wreaths).







Then my kitchen becomes a flower workshop and my house becomes an icebox! I have to keep the house cool so the flowers don't wilt - the kids always know when to pull out the sweaters - even if it's 100 outside!




(notice the much needed Starbucks!)

Then the creativity starts flowing and the arrangements start to come together.

Then comes crunch time on the wedding day - I wish I had a picture of me and my pose' running around getting things put up and ready! (by the way, thank you Cathi, Heather & Amber - you were awesome! Also to my Dad, he was there hanging the lanterns and ended up cleaning up after me!





The idea here was for it to look like we went and picked wild flowers from the neighbors garden! Light and airy.



I had a blast doing this wedding - It is always fun to put a personal touch into it when I know the bride & groom. Congrats Katie and John - you were beautiful! Thank you for letting me be part of your day!

And there you have it, it's what I do.................

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So good......

Nyla said...

Fabulous! You have a great gift! I could never do that

Kristen said...

you are amazing... those flowers are beautiful.

Monique said...

Wow! That's awesome! Great job! Absolutely beautiful!

Jen S said...

Wow, Shan! I had no idea! Very beautiful and we'll keep you in mind in uh, say about 12 more years. =)

Baker Girl said...

I had no idea you had so much hidden talent!! Wish Cathi had said something when we were doing our wedding!!! :) And I'll have to find that flower-mart...didn't know I had one so close to home!

Denise said...

beautiful flowers, such talent!
now come visit me at my blog to see me "meet" kristen "cheeney."
(half of our conversation was me correcting her on the proper wya to pronounce "cheney.")